So, the morning after the wild party where you drunk a little bit more than expected. You come to the mirror and see an unidentified object there: weak and tired body, suffering from terrible headache, dehydration and nausea. Good morning, hangover, long time no see! Yes, you were aware of the possible consequences when you were drinking another shot. Yes, you know that you’d better didn’t drink at all, but you did, and you feel awful. So, lets put aside all these “the best cure of hangover is not to drink at all” arguments, and get straight to the methods that will help you to feel better.
What is a hangover?
Hangover happens when our liver enzymes that break down ethyl alcohol don’t cope with their task. As a result, ethanol is processed only to the level of acetaldehyde, which is much more dangerous than alcohol. This chemical compound causes poisoning of the body. Add to this fusel oils, which also provoke many unpleasant hangover symptoms and low glucose production, necessary for the nutrition of the brain, and you will get a complete picture of your well-being. Ethanol acts as a diuretic, causing dehydration of our organism. As a result, the needed resourcesб such as electrolytes and antioxidants, leave our body, making us suffer from headaches, weakness, and other unpleasant symptoms, such as:
- dry mouth
- irritability and discontent
- weakness and feeling tired
- lack of appetite
5 steps to go through the hangover
- Drink a lot of water and fresh juices. Alcohol dehydrated your organism, and you need to drink a lot to help your body to get rid of those toxins. Take small sips of water, don’t drink the whole bottle at a time, even if you feel that you can do that. If you want to drink something except water, fresh juices will work great. You can choose both fruit and vegetable juices.
- Avoid hair of the dog. Does hair of the dog help? Yep, it helps you to get another hangover the following day. If you are a masochist, go ahead, take a shot of tequila or vodka. But if you want to feel the relief as soon as possible, it is better to avoid drinking alcohol for at least 2 days.
- Have a proper breakfast. Even if the idea of eating is unbearable, try to eat a little bit of plain food like toast or porridge. Your body needs the energy to cope with alcohol intoxication. Don’t eat greasy food, it won’t make you feel better. Go with scrambled eggs, vegetables, and fruits (bananas and grapes will work just perfectly). If you can handle the sound of a blender, make yourself a smoothie. Ginger will combat your dizziness, nausea, and upset stomach — add it into your juice or smoothie. Eating a portion of healthy food is the best way to replace the vitamins and minerals that your body lost as it worked hard to process the alcohol.
- Drink green tea with honey. Green tea is loaded with antioxidants which help the body flush out toxins. Honey has been recognized by many scientists as one of the best hangover cures because it contains almost ideal composition of fructose, potassium and magnesium. Do not be afraid if after a cup of tea with honey you break a sweat — this is how the breakdown products of alcohol are excreted through the skin. Limit caffeine — you may be desperate for that caffeine pick-me-up but drinking too many cups of tea or coffee will only make dehydration worse. So, stick to one cup until you’re feeling yourself again.
- Have a walk and a good long rest. You probably won’t be able to work when having a hangover, so, don’t push yourself. Have a good sleep, take a shower, and go for a long nice walk. If time permits, take a contrast shower and go in for sports. Exercise stimulates blood circulation, it can help you quickly cope with a hangover. But, again, don’t push yourself too hard, slow jog or a walk in the open air will be just perfect.
We hope that our tips will help you to get through the hangover. Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all hangover remedy because everyone's body is different. You will have to find what works best for you and it will likely be a combination of things. The most important thing to remember, is that your body needs time and a good rest.